Six things I’ve learned about painting, to create paintings I love:
- Less is more. Use fewer colors. When adding shapes don’t add ten, add three. Or one. With metallics, only add a little. With an accent colors, use just a pop.
- Use mostly neutrals, and then add pops of more saturated colors.
- When you get to a point you like it STOP. WAIT. DON’T DO ANYTHING ELSE. You may add more later but for now leave it as is. Let it dry. Take a photo of it. Give it some space.
- Add a little black. Maybe add it as a shadow, add it as circles, add it as something that looks like writing, or add it as uncertain lines (painted with a brush taped to a branch).
- Add a lot of chromatic white. That’s your favorite. You will love it more that way.
- Paint in series. Paint the same thing again and again, or the same abstract composition and color scheme and shapes. You will learn so much that way.